A customer-focused engineer with experience in development for applications ranging from embedded systems to client-side MVC frameworks for the Web. Major strengths include experience with a broad range of languages and software tools. Possesses a business focus in decision-making and strong communication skills. A creative and flexible person with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
- Markup Languages
- HTML, XML, XSL
- Software Frameworks
- Rails, Sproutcore, HTML:Mason
- Networking Software and Protocols
- Apache, Passenger Phusion, NFS, Samba, mod_perl, CGI
- OS and Development Environments
- Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat), OS X, Xen, HP-UX, SunOS, X11/Motif
- Configuration Management/Licensing
- Git, Subversion, CVS, Rational ClearCase, FlexLM
- Led transition from rails 2.3 to 3.1
- Led development effort to integrate with Elster's MAS Advanced Metering Infrastructure interface.
- Led development and served as primary technical resource for implementing support for new devices, enabling sales of >$20M of products and services.
- Served as primary technical resource for Smart Energy Platform in development group.
- Mentored junior developers to raise overall code quality and testability.
- Internal consultant for architectural and long-range planning issues.
- Standardized, documented, and implemented device installation and configuration process
- Worked with designer to create and extend device programming screen for thermostats and switches
- Developed external-facing application to allow vendors to negotiate prices and availability with Centro. As of Q2 2009, all vendors were using this system.
- In 3 months, become simultaneously proficient in Sinatra, Sproutcore, and MongoDB while developing a replacement for core business application.
- Integrated front-line business application with Netsuite, our finance software vendor. Saved over 50 man-hours of work for each end-of-month closing process.
- Mentored junior developers to increase their skill and knowledge of practical software engineering practices.
- Created and led an informal weekly lunch and learn session, where participants reviewed each others' code and learned new techniques.
- Acted as front-line and second-tier customer support. Triaged incoming bug reports, solving them immediately when appropriate, and creating detailed bug reports for more complex situations.
- Worked with Agile processes ranging from XP with two-week development cycle and Test-Driven Development to a formal Scrum methodology
- Coordinated capital expenses for department. Responsible for determining and prioritizing needs, forecasting future growth, and drafting initial budget.
- Volunteered to train China branch on local testing team tools and practices. Designed, developed and led training program on two separate occasions. Continued to consult with China team and assist with troubleshooting.
- Traveled to customer sites to assist in troubleshooting bugs found during acceptance testing of partner Linux distributions.
- Designed and developed testing harness for automating acceptance tests for Linux distributions on HP Integrity Servers using Apache, mod_perl, HTML::Mason and shell scripts.
- Designed and implemented database using PostgreSQL to store tester information, test status, and results. Extended database to meet changing testing needs. Developed reports against the database for management approval.
- Introduced Agile software development methodologies, including pair programming, shared code ownership, timeboxing, and customer-involved development to testing tools team.
- Saved Agilent $20,000 in license fees by integrating Samba with ClearCase.
- Conceived and implemented automated software publishing process, resulting in consistent, correct, and reliable publishes.
- Created and reviewed software process automation software, increasing codeline stability and correctness.
- Analyzed, revised and implemented changes to software development processes, ensuring reliable software development.
- Pioneered role of R&D Coordinator, reducing open bug time and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Created and maintained user-centered process documentation that resulted in consistent software development practices.
- Represented HP during visits to Japanese customers; brought back information to factory.
- Designed, implemented and deployed new licensing technology using FlexLM to allow third parties to easily extend system, resulting in increased sales.
- Combined custom-written CGI and free third-party remote display software (VNC) with logic analyzer to provide remote access to instrument, allowing distributed development teams to share access to the instrument.
- Programmed user-friendly GUIs using X11/Motif, enabling easy access to system features.
- Evaluated and tested sales presentation for HP 16700-series logic analyzer, and trained sales force on complex new product.
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, Colorado State University
- Graduate-level courses in Computer Science, including Networking and Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs.
- Automating Operating Systems Testing with Ruby, OSCON 2004
- Ruby on Rails Developer training
- ClearCase Developer and Admin Classes
- Communications and leadership training
- Past Debian GNU/Linux Developer (maintained gforth, xfishtank, space-orbit, sg3-utils)
- Past Secretary, Pikes Peak ACM